Over the Years
The Station House: 1866 – 1923
- The station was opened on 8 January 1866 by the Tendring Hundred Railway, then owned by the Great Eastern Railway. It later became part of the London and North Eastern Railway following the Grouping of 1923.
- It then passed to the Eastern Region of British Railways upon nationalisation in 1948. After sectorisation was introduced, the station was served by Network SouthEast until the privatisation of British Rail
2008 – 2009
- Prior to the electrification of the line, the ticket clerk operated the level crossing gates, the home and distant signals on both the “up” (London-bound) and “down” (country-bound) lines, his own level crossing gate lock and the one for the level crossing a short distance down the line, at all times that the signal box was unmanned. Edward Burbage fulfilled this duty for nearly 50 years. The crossing gates were replaced with automatic barriers as part of an upgrade of the line in 2008 and 2009.
- The station celebrated its 150 year anniversary in 2016
2014 – Current Day
ASH was formalised in 2019 with the creation of the Community Benefit Society but its roots go back much further. Volunteer Station Adopters have been working with the various rail franchise holders for many years keeping the platform in good order. In 2014 this involvement extended to take on the waste ground around the old entrance to the Station House in order to create a community garden, which was cleared with the help of student volunteers from Essex University in Wivenhoe.
This has proved very popular with people wanting to help and just enjoy the space. Local schools visit the garden and the SEN Marketfields school in nearby Elmstead Market are regular visitors, enjoying the fairy homes created by one of the volunteers. A small wildlife area has proven very beneficial for two brothers in the village who have been very sick. Visiting brings much joy to them and their mother.
At the end of 2016 a group of keen residents saw the potential of a natural progression to take on the building itself to further improve the area and add extra facilities. This idea has been gaining traction ever since and with the support of feedback via the recent Neighbourhood Plan and Alresford Parish Council it brings us to the present day.